The Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the consumer that is nationâ€™s agency, has suggestions about how exactly to protect your federal advantages from garnishment. The federal advantages which can be exempt from garnishment include:
- Personal Protection Advantages
- Supplemental Safety Income (SSI) Benefits
- Veteransâ€™ Benefits
- Civil Provider and Federal Retirement and Disability Benefits
- Army Annuities and Survivorsâ€™ Advantages
- Pupil Assistance
- Railroad Pension Benefits
- Vendor Seamen Wages
- Longshoremenâ€™s and Harbor Workersâ€™ Death and Disability Advantages
- Foreign Provider Pension and Disability Benefits
- Payment for Injury, Death, or Detention of workers of U.S. Contractors outside of the U.S.
- Federal Crisis Management Agency Federal Disaster Assistance.
But, there are a few circumstances where these funds aren't protected and might be garnished. For instance, some of those benefits that are federal be used to cover delinquent federal fees or figuratively speaking. Other people, such as for example Social safety advantages, could be deducted them to pay child support or alimony before you receive.
The legislation differs from state to convey about what forms of state advantages are susceptible to and exempt from garnishment. To find out more, you need to contact legal counsel whom techniques in a state, a state or regional customer security agency, or perhaps an appropriate help workplace in your area.